Search site

Private Fostering

Private fostering is when a child under the age of 16 is cared for by someone who is not their parent or a close relative.

  • Do you look after someone else's child?

  • Does someone else look after your child?

If someone makes private arrangements to look after a child who is not a close relative for more than 28 days the law says that either a person caring for a child in this way or the child's parents must tell the Local Authority.  This arrangement is called Private Fostering.  When a private fostering arrangement takes place, Social Services have to visit the home to ensure that the child is well cared for in a safe and suitable environment and provide appropriate advice and support to the carer. 

Examples of private fostering are:

  • A child living in this country for educational reasons whose parents live overseas
  • A child living with a friend's family as a result of difficulties at home
  • A young person living with the family of a boyfriend or girlfriend
  • A child who stays with friends or neighbours for educational reasons when their parents move to work in another area

To let Swansea Council know about a private fostering arrangement telephone 01792 635700.

More information

For more information about private fostering arrangements in Swansea see Private Fostering Arrangements (Factsheet 35) or download the information as a factsheet  PDF Document Private Fostering Arrangements (Factsheet 035) (PDF, 35KB)Opens new window.  

There is also information about private fostering on the website Somebody Else's Child (BAAF)Opens new window

There are Welsh Government guides to private fostering which you can download using the links below.

Powered by GOSS iCM